The important feature of Bio Sponge, which separates it from other filter material, is its ability to form BIO FILM, and it is within this BIO FILM that these important bacteria are present. The material of BIO SPONGE is a particular sponge-like material, specifically invented and designed for forming BIO FILM. As such, Bio Sponge has a high retention ratio for bacteria, which is hard to reduce, even when located under water or by exposure to ultraviolet rays. In my opinion, the most important factor for breeding high quality koi is water quality, and the best combination to control water quality is Bio Sponge and Bacto Power.
When considering previous practices, filter mat and brushes have been used for years in the koi-breeding world, however they are only efficient at collecting rubbish/waste, which can then turn into sludge. Therefore, it is not too much to say that the combination of filter mat and brushes, is a way of producing sludge in a filter. Sludge is bad organic matter and is a main cause for deterioration of water quality as it causes the pH to drop. Also, sludge produces germs and increases the risk of disease and illness in the koi pond. So in summary, filter mat and brushes can contain and collect waste, but cannot clean water.
BENEFITS OF BIO SPONGE
- Specifically designed to house and retain bacteria
- Provides an excellent place to develop BIO FILM
- Gives bacteria the idea place to break down organic material and prevent sludge buildup
- Keeps high quality water for koi, when combined with Bacto Power.
- For multi bay filters and moving bed filter
HOW TO USE Bio Sponge:
- No need to wash before adding to pond.
- Use at a ratio of one bag of Bio Sponge for every 265 gallons of water.
- Bio Sponge includes many kinds of natural minerals, which slowly dissolve into the water over time.
HOW TO SET UP Bio Sponge:
- Use at a ratio of one bag of Bio Sponge for 500 L pondwater. Simply place Shinsuke Bio Sponge in your multi-bay filteror or moving – bed filter
- Fix the bags of Bio Sponge onto a frame, and make the frame fit to the length and width of your filter.
- Place the Bio Sponge into a Resin net. **Shinsuke advises using a net with big square pattern. When small pattern nets are used, the water flow will be slowed, causing the Bio Sponge to be less effective
- You can put one or two layers of Bio Sponge into each resin net.